Before a transfusion:
- Is a pre medication required?
- Do you have sufficient resources to manage the transfusion?
Are there any other special requirements? (eg CMV negative or irradiated)
Has consent been obtained? (more info on consent)
Has suitable venous access been obtained?
Has the component been checked against the patient?
- Overnight transfusions in particular are discouraged unless clinically urgent or in a
high-resource area eg theatre, ICU, APU. Errors are more likely at night, monitoring is more difficult and the patient becomes sleep-deprived.
- The patient has stated his/her name him/herself
- The patient's wristband has been checked against the unit's label
- Identification details on the blood component and label match the identity of the patient
- A second person has independently confirmed this check at the bedside
- For more detail, see Bedside Checking.